Healing Herbs: artemisia californica

artemisia californica (california sage brush) is a plant for healing.  The Chumash used artemisia as medicine and in sacred ceremonies. The plant is native to Southern California and Mexico but is also found in Northern California along the coast. I first met artemisia while on a school assignment: I was to find a plant and talk with it. I actually found this amazing plant by walking straight into it! I expected to be scratched by doing so, but instead, was welcomed by a sweet minty smell and gentle embrace. A bush of artemisia appears dry, but in fact the plant is very soft. I wrote later in my paper that I felt I had (re)met an old friend :)

Yesterday was my first experience distilling artemisa with Master Medicine Woman Monica ;) from Lucky Six Farms, and I am so happy with the results! The essential oil and hydrosol capture the plant's healing properties and both are perfect additions to your aromatherapy collection.


artemisia californica can help detoxify your body, invigorate your mind, and harmonize your mind/body/spirit.

The aroma of artemisia helps with adrenal fatigue. The plant gives a person clean and balanced energy. Native Americans used this plant as a remedy to treat colds, headaches, and to flush toxins out the body's system. The plant was also used ritual purification ceremonies such as birth and death.

If you are feeling "off" artemisia can really help you!

I would suggest adding a couple of drops of essential oil or hydrosol to your bath or to a steam. You can also spray the hydrosol directly on the body and receive the healing benefits or use the spray to smudge a room.

If you would like your own handmade artemisia californica hydrosol and/or essential oil please call Lucky Six Farms at 619-468-6869.

Comments

  1. Thanxs for sharing with all of us the Incredible post on ur blog . Its really illusive.



    IIP Foundation India and Health Org

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

GREEN JUICE FOR HEALTH

LIFE'S TEACHINGS AND MY BIKE

EATING FOR ENERGY