SIMPLIFY FOR SPRING

SIMPLIFY FOR SPRING - The lesson I learned from Meat & Potatoes.

Yesterday, as I was in the grocery store, wandering around the produce isle and thinking, what should I to cook for dinner? I experienced a wave of strong surges of thoughts, feelings and emotions. My mind began to race with questions such as What produce is in season? Which vegetables should I eat? I think I need more fiber, more protein... My stomach tightened and my breath shorten.

Recently, I modified my diet to heal from candida albicans (Candida), a overgrowth of yeast and unhealthy bacteria in the gut. By cutting out refined sugar, wheat and corn and eating more vegeatbles, I have increased my energy level and have cleared up the embarrassing acne on my face. I have also been experimenting with different herbal concoctions and taking different vitamins and supplements. But still, I have been having bad stomach pains and indigestion.

As I stood behind my cart in the grocery store, I caught myself in this twisted state, and took a breath. The deep breath helped me relax, and I asked myself, Why is food making me so stressed out? I realized that I had been trying to cram in too much into my meals. That is, I had been combining many different kinds of foods because I had been wanting to take in all the nutrients I thought I needed. But this 'all or nothing' mentality was having an adverse effect on my body. My stomach was working way too hard to digest all the food and I was stressed out.

Then, a thought came to me: Let's have Meat and Potatoes for dinner! Wait - what? I was very surprised by this thought because this is not a meal that I usually eat. I did not end up cooking this for dinner, but instead, I took this classic dish and made it my own. For dinner I made Sweet Potato Fries, Brown Rice, and Sautéed Chard. (See below for the sweet potato fries recipe).

The insight I gained from meat and potatoes was: EAT SIMPLY.

Eating Simply is my Spring Resolution. I am going to cook meals with 5 ingredients or less. My hope is that by eating simply I will take greater steps towards Living Simply.

I believe that by cutting back on the amount of food I cook with, I will eat less, waste less, and my body will be able to utilize the vitamins and minerals in the foods more. I will feel better, have less obsessive thoughts, more energy, and be a healthier and happier person.

Sweet Potato Fries 

1. Set oven for 410 degrees
2. Cut up 1 good sized Sweet Potato (Yam)
3. Crumble Coconut Butter or Butter on potatoes
4. Bake for 40 minutes
 
ENJOY!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GREEN JUICE FOR HEALTH

LIFE'S TEACHINGS AND MY BIKE

EATING FOR ENERGY