FULL CIRCLE

FULL CIRCLE - From Player to Coach

I've been meaning to start a blog for a while now. I kept hesitating, not knowing where or how to start but now I'm finally writing! And the inspiration to write came from a unexpected yet totally understandable place for me - the softball field.
I played softball for 14 years, and when I left the game in college, I thought I was done. After my softball career, I lived in Nepal, New Zealand, and Australia. I studied meditation and Reiki at a monastery in San Diego and completed my yoga teacher training in Los Angeles. I am currently teaching yoga in Marin County, CA and training to be a health coach at Integrative Nutrition.  

I didn't think softball would find a place back in my life, but it has! And I believe that my coaching experience at Drake High School this year will positively inform my life journey and holistic health practice. 

Today was my first game as Assistant Coach for Drake Varsity Softball. We had a great game, winning 7-2. As I reflect on the game, I experience a surge of feelings, past and present. 

The photo above is of me (age 9) and my dad. It illustrates the emotional mixture of the past and present I'm talking about. See, this photo has been imprinted in my memory for many years. I can clearly recall the sensation of rounding the bases. The adrenaline rush of pushing off the corner of the base, heading for the next. The excitement of potentially sliding or diving head first into the base. The fulfillment of running all four bases safely and scoring. And as my players rounded the bases today, I shared in their aggression, disappointment and satisfaction as part of me ran with them. 

But today, as Coach, I also felt grounded on the sideline. Like I was supposed to be there.  Today, I experienced what Deepak Chopra calls "synchrodestiny" or the spontaneous fulfillment of desire. Because, there have been many times, in my daydreams and night dreams, when I tried to put myself in my dad's shoes. I wondered, What is he feeling? What is he thinking? I tried so hard to experience that moment. And today, I did. I lived out my dream. I embodied that stance, waving and shouting, as I sent girls home to score.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GREEN JUICE FOR HEALTH

LIFE'S TEACHINGS AND MY BIKE

EATING FOR ENERGY