LIFE'S TEACHINGS AND MY BIKE

A lesson on Allowing.

I finally fixed my bike! It had been a big "to do" for me for many months. The bike is my grandpa's. It is old (I found out that the brand of bike no longer exists, and some parts will have to be special ordered) but in great condition. I was able to put off the project for such a long time because I had many excuses . . . and a car! The biggest reason why I hadn't started the project was that I told myself "I didn't have time" for it.

Finally, on this past Saturday, different factors aligned so that I could finally fix my bike. It was a beautiful day, I felt energized, and I had one less commitment and therefore a window of time to dedicate towards the project. My bike went from being another "to do" in the back of my mind to being my top priority.

I had so much fun fixing my bike !! at The Bicycle Works, a bike co-op in San Anselmo. It is a very welcoming environment with lots of creative energy and fun people. And Brant, the guy who helped me, was very patient and kind. As we worked on my bike, it appeared to me that what he was saying was applicable to what was happening in my life.

"You can not force the cable in. It has to want to go in." His explanation alludes to an ancient teaching that hit home for me. A lesson that I am continually learning in my life and a main theme in my yoga classes is not to use force but to ALLOW something to happen. For instance, when my students are in eka pada kapotasana or pigeon pose, a deep hip opener, I tell them: "Use the breath to soften the hip. Do not force the opening but ALLOW the body to surrender deeper into the pose."

When I allow things to happen in my life, they happen easier, turn out better, and I feel more aligned and connected to the greater picture of life. When I try to accomplish something with force, I experience resistance, frustration, sadness, and anger.

I am gifting myself some simple ALLOWANCES. I am starting with these in hope that I will experience more of life's natural flow in my own daily life.

I will . . .

ALLOW my body to wake up in the mornings.
ALLOW my body to eat when it is hungry.
ALLOW my body to rest when it is tired.
ALLOW others to speak without my interruption.
ALLOW myself enough time between jobs so that I do not feel rushed.

Thank You for taking the time to read this blog post!

Namaste!





Comments

  1. Hi Alison,
    Wonderful post on Life's teachings and allowing. I am having an incredible time when I find myself allowing the wonderful , simple things that you came up with. I experience magic also when I allow things that I never thought of the right of passing through my life. Experiencing to the best of my ability and not reacting (as if it is not the time and place for a certain happening) makes the life worth living.

    Namaste

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monica for sharing your wonderful thoughts and experiences. I also find it a beneficial practice to observe and not react. Doing so allows me to connect with the place of serenity within instead of being tugged all around by different emotions. Thank you again for sharing and I would like to hear more from you! Do you have a blog?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

GREEN JUICE FOR HEALTH

EATING FOR ENERGY